EXCLUSIVE MIXES               SHOP               SUPER MARKET               CONTACT US


Monday

HH MIX #027 - JESPER RYOM



Jesper Ryom first caught our eye during a late-night YouTube session when we stumbled upon the brilliant 'Nature Boy' from last year. We were curious of how such a talent had slipped completely under the radar for us, and wanted to know more about this young Danish talent. We asked if he’d like to record a mix for us and answer a few questions, and being the lovely fella he is, he said “ja” (that’s Danish for “yes”).

Hi Jesper, please tell us a little bit about your background and upbringing...

I am 23 years old and I live in Copenhagen. I've lived most of my life in Aalborg in the northern part of Denmark, where I played in bands and smoked a little too much grass. Then I went to a Danish boarding school for half a year in 2010 to study electronic music. Here I met my girlfriend, and we moved to Copenhagen after finishing the stay. It was at this point I began taking my music a bit more serious and began working with house music.

You mentioned you had an exam today. What exactly are you studying?

I am studying Medialogy, which is a cross of media & music production as well as more geeky stuff like computer programming and image processing.

We're big fans of your Nature Boy EP from last year. How did the hook-up with Power Plant Records come about? (We also like the sleeve, who designed it?)

Thanks, glad to hear that! I came in contact with Sanna La Fleur, who owns Power Plant, through a mutual friend. After sending some of my songs to her, we settled on the two tracks on the EP. The sleeve contains a drawing by Wilfred Sätty (1939-1982) who was a German born, San Francisco based artist active in the 60's and 70's. Credit to La Fleur for discovering his amazing works and finding such a fitting picture. I loved it from the moment I saw it, and we agreed on using it for the cover.

Nature Boy - Jesper Ryom [Power Plant Records]


What is your earliest memory of music?

That must be listening to my parents vinyl collection when I was a kid. I always adored their records and they sparked my interest in jazz music, which has never left me. I really like sampling from old records since I love the quality of the sounds produced in the 60's and 70's, and I'm sure that's because my first music experience was with that warm sound.. I try to infuse that feeling into my music even though it's produced on a computer.

Which producers/labels really excite you?

There are so many exciting producers and labels right now, but If I was to point at a few, Suol and Tartelet Records are some of my favorite labels right now, and I love more or less every record from those two labels. Some of the producers I find really exciting are Axel Boman, Nebraska and Danish producer Paxton Fettel. They all have this rich and warm sound that I really love, as well as a great sense of groove.

What does 2012 hold for Jesper Ryom?

I have a couple of remixes coming out soon, and I am working on a new EP as well. Honestly, during the past half year I have been preoccupied with my studies, so I feel like catching up now by being a lot more productive.

Finally, what are you passionate about outside of electronic music?

My girlfriend, Johanne, and our two fluffy ragdoll cats. And my newfound love for espresso.

Thanks for your time Jesper, we look forward to what's still to come out of your studio.

DOWNLOAD

01. The Soulful Strings - Burning Spear
02. Marsmobil - Gonna Be My Day (Henrik Schwarz Acoustronic Remix)
03. Ruede Hagelstein, The Noblettes - A Priori (Guillaume & The Count Dumonts Remix)
04. Salvatore Freda - Luv Can't Hurt (Nebraska '79 Mix)
05. Salvatore Freda - Luv Can't Hurt (Nebraska '86 Mix)
06. Pool - Dont Call My Name (Stimming Remix)
07. Siri Svegler - Silent Viewer (Chopstick & Johnjon Remix)
08. Sleazy McQueen - Trains Over Broadway (Pezzner Extended Mix)
09. Juno6 - BCN
10. Bjorn Storig - Connected Ways
11. Nicone, Sascha Braemer - Dreamer (Edu Imbernon Remix)
12. Marc DePulse - Fingertips
13. Makam - New Yotk Huslter (Losoul Remix)
14. Anthea, Guti - Option One
15. Ray Okpara - Blues Me Blues
16. Terranova - So Strong (Findling & Zigon Remix)
17. Guti - Keep It (Satoshi Tomiie Remix)
18. Alpine - Galapine (Julien Chaptal Remix)
19. Cascandy - Escapade Escapade
20. Jesper Ryom - End Title

Keep up with Jesper on Soundcloud and Facebook.

No comments: